Saturday, March 9, 2013

The first big check box going down!

(Note, I apologize in advance, this was supposed to be a short post and it's turned into a novella)

We've arrived at the first big event of my race calendar. Even though this is just an 8K (5 miles), this is the first even I registered for during my planning of how to get from where I was to Miami this year. I registered for this last fall and it feels like the signature event to tell me that I truly have a racing season and that racing season is now underway. Completing this will also make me feel like I've accomplished a long goal.

It's been a long recovery and even as I get ready to get a good nights sleep before the race, I have to be excited for what I've managed to accomplish so far. I've defied what people told me when I was in the hospital last July. I've defied what some people expected when they saw how large I was, how bad my health had become, and just where I started from. I've defied that voice in my head that said you can't do this.

This race is a big deal for me - it's longer than a 5K (which is still a race) and it feels like I've moved up. Even before my ankle and everything else went sideways, I had never done anything longer than a 5K and now I have (or will have by tomorrow morning).

Admittedly, I still have a fair distance to go and a lot of training before I can cover that 70.3 or 140.6 miles, but this is a big deal for me. I put a race on the calendar months in advance with a goal to train for it. I did, and I'm here. I will race tomorrow and while I'm sure I will be relatively low in my age group, it doesn't matter because I will finish. I will end the day with my head held high and with the pride that goes with knowing that I put my goals out there and I lived up to them. Not only lived up to them, but used them as a spring board to bigger and better things.

I had dinner with some friends, who are running the 408K with me, last night that I hadn't seen in many months (since late summer last year) and both of them were amazed (and told me so) about the progress I've made so far in looking and being healthier. I don't seek these compliments, but they make me feel so good when I get them.

I have a long list of people to thank for getting me here (when did this turn into a Oscar speech?):

Juanita, my beautiful wife, for believing in me on the darkest of days when the black clouds build over my head and for always being supportive of me even when it feels like I disappear because I'm training;
Coach Lesley - for having the patience of a saint as I struggled in the beginning and for knowing how to adapt to what I needed to do and for encouraging me to aim big. Thanks for taking all of that knowledge and pouring it into my brain even when I'm a little slow on the uptake (yes, I will eat before the race tomorrow! :) );
Krista - for being a heck of a friend that I've met through training, for sharing goals with me, for listening and advising me, and for inspiring and motivating me through tough workouts;
Christine - for being a marvelous inspiration on how to come back from whatever life throws at you - your strength, dedication, and love of life inspires me every day;
Dawn - Thanks for bringing so much humor into our runs together - you crack me up and make the miles just slide away. Marco! Polo!
Sheena and Elena - You both are inspirations to me the way you can plow through adversity and still bring a smile to your face. And thanks to both of you for (on many occasions) bringing a smile to my face too! You're selflessness is incredible.;
Krista, Dawn, Sheena, and Elena - the village people rock!
Danielle - Thanks for kicking my butt when we work out together - you rock;
Monday morning folks - you know who all of you are - thanks for picking me up on those days when I was down and thanks for all of the support throughout;
The CL team / gang - I've met so many of you and each and every one of you has been a pleasure to know and train with, race with, or just hang out with. There have been helping hands when I fall down (literally), pats on the back, and good will that I feel. Thanks for making me feel included.

I think I hear the Jaws music playing, so I need to get off the stage. There are many more of you out there that have helped me along the way in big ways or small ways and there will be more big moments for me and I'll try to thank you all in person and was as in public.

Mariachi Mile and Santana Row, here I come! Clear the streets - wild, charging buffalo on the loose!

No comments:

Post a Comment