Monday, January 28, 2013

And now for my lovely candlelight swim...

I figured that on this journey I would get some interesting stories to tell and tonight is probably my first of what will likely be many.

So, I hit the gym tonight to put in a little time on the elliptical, lift some weights, and then do my primary workout of a 2200 yard swim (not all at once, yet!). So I'm trundling along, lane-splitting with another triathlete who is training for Ironman Montreal. Very friendly woman. Bang! The entire facility goes black. And I mean pitch black. Parking lot lights through the window, gone. Interior lights, gone. Emergency lights, uh, why do we have no emergency lights. After what seems like an enternity and after my lane-splitting buddy and I whack into each other, the emergency lights come on. All two of them. It was enough to see your way around if you were trying to get out, but not exactly bright illumination.

What to do, you ask? Keep swimming, of course. Real triathletes don't know what quit means, or so I'm told. So I figure if I'm going to be a real athlete, I keep going. Ok, now I have to admit - swimming in the dark is a lot more challenging than you would think. The lane lines on the bottom of the pool are practically invisible in the dark - and those emergency lights don't exactly penetrate the pool. I did get about another ten laps or so in before the staff came and chased us out because the power wasn't coming back on anytime soon it appeared.

I tried!

On a happy note today, Monday is always my weigh-in day... Dropped another 2.2 pounds this past week. I'm now approaching a major milestone in which the most significant digit of my weight is about to drop. I'm also probably about, given my current average weight loss, a month from having dropped 100 pounds. That number is huge! It's sometimes a little depressing to realize where I was, but at the same point, I have to be proud of how far I have come. I still have a ways to go to get to my goal.

Another happy note happened over the weekend when my wife dug out a bag of clothes that had been lingering in the garage because I had outgrown them. I ended up donating a bunch of them because they were too small! Now that was a great feeling. It was also a great feeling to see shirts and other clothes that I used to remember wearing and now they either fit or were too big!

Back to training talk ... I'll probably do my swim again this week to make up for the fact that I probably only got about 1/3 of it in tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment