Saturday, February 2, 2013

Act II

Everyone gets a chance at a second act in life. I think we're past the opening stanza of the second act of my athletic, and maybe my entire, life. While nothing is every perfect, there are peaks and valleys, I find that today's run sums up where I'm at almost to a perfect T.

Today was a planned 6-ish mile run around the Lake Youngs reservoir down near Renton. The course is a set of rolling ups and downs with a bit of a mud slog here or there. So, why does this resemble the second act of my life? There are little ups, there are little downs. I've had both this week. There are slips and slides through slick portions where you have to adjust, change your stride, and carry on. I've had that this week too. But you carry on. You keep putting one foot in front of the other and you move onward, and before you know it, you've gone faster and further and better than you ever have before.

My life was very different 6-7 months ago when I started healing from what the last, emphasis mine, orthopedic surgery. But I look at where I am today. I'm rapidly approaching 100 pounds lighter, I'm training for a significant endurance event, I'm healthier, I'm happier (most of the time!), and I feel like we're starting to turn this corner to the point where I will never look back or see it again.

Why am I feeling so positive today? Well, I covered a longer distance than I have ever covered before. I went 6.25 miles and I did it with an average mile pace of under 15:00. For those that have been doing endurance athletics, I recognize that this is not exactly a fast pace and some people can walk that fast, but at the end of the day, I'm proud of that. I know I can do better, and I will, but I will not and cannot allow myself to fall into the trap of doubt because I'm not where I want to be. I have goals, yes. I have aspirations, yes. But I must temper those with the reality of how far I have come and in how, relatively little, time I have done it in.

In addition, my Garmin now tells me I have a PR for 10K time. Of course, the first time you run 10K, that sets up a benchmark now for me to beat. But, I didn't even think about it, but I just ran my first 10K - that's a huge milestone! As well, I just set a new PR for the longest run I've ever done. I know I won't be setting new PR's forever, but hey - I like this part!

(Note to the reader, yes when I say run, I still walk/run - but that's still running in my book. :) )

On a second note, I never cease to be amazed and the great group of people that I have gotten associated with in my quest to become a triathlete. First, I've found an awesome coach and her staff. Second, her atheletes that I train with sometimes, like today, are some of the best and most supportive bunch around. Even though I was, by far, the slowest one out there today, I got encouragement, positive talk, and just generally warm feelings as they would go by. As well, when we meet up at the milestone end for those of us going the six mile distance, everyone is always so supportive and friendly. This has made all of the difference in training. Knowing that people are there to support you, or just give you a kind word when you're struggling up a hill, makes the difference between success and failure.

Thanks for hanging with me on what has turned into a long-winded and somewhat rambling post. What did I hope to do besides listen to myself talk with this post? I hope those of you that are reading this that might be having an off day, or struggling to get to your goals, or even struggling to get started will find that this is just one step in a second act of life that is well worth the effort. Don't give up, even if I don't know you or have never met you, I'm cheering you on, just like others cheer me on to get to my goals. 

This bison is moving onward and forward ... hope you enjoy reading about the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment