Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Working out the rice crispies

Let's start with a quick summary of yesterday's run...

"Exxxxxxxcelllllent, Smithers" 

Not my fastest run, but I was running with two of my running buddies / friends (Krista and Dawn) and they did a phenomenal job of pacing. I may have run slower (and not by a lot) than I had been before, but I was running farther without a doubt. At my best - I went over half a mile non-stop. I know that isn't all that impressive to most people, but it's huge progress. And the vast, vast majority of my running was done running, not just walking fast. A light bulb went off over my head, perhaps I'm running too hard when I run! Well, duh. I have to admit the look on Coach's face when the light bulb went off was priceless.

I'm not sure I felt that good after running approximately 4.25 miles yet. I've been telling people today that the irony is that the part that I was the most worried about, the run, is showing the most improvement. Go figure! Each workout that goes by is giving me more and more confidence in myself and that leads to better workouts because I don't fear failure (as much - I'm still working on this).

Training for a long-distance endurance event is proving to be quite the learning experience. Both about myself and about the events themselves. I'm learning more and more about what I can do and what it will take. All of that feeds my voracious brain that is constantly wanting to learn.

I know I can do this! My old body and doubts are fading fast into the rear view mirror. Hard to believe except when I pull up my records that 7 months ago I was where I was at.

On to the other reason for this post. I think I'm a believer in Active Release Therapy. I've been doing research around on things that will help my ankle get more range of motion and generally hold up under the training load I have taken on for myself. I saw my provider this afternoon for the first session. Let me be clear, it hurts when they're in there bashing down the scar tissue. The scar tissue in there felt and even sounded like rice crispies. Ugh. But I knew that scar tissue and mobility are my issues, so if this is what it takes, then this is what is takes!

She watched me walk before and after, and I was walking so much better! Even I felt a difference. She worked on the ankle as well as the piriformis (I'm learning to really hate that muscle). I'm going to be sore tonight, but it made such a difference.

Let's hope that improvement continues!

My thought of the day ... never be afraid to seek out more information and try new ideas.

T-3 days to my first triathlon.
T-3 weeks and 3 days to the 408K

No comments:

Post a Comment