Monday, February 18, 2013

Rainman Issaquah 2013 Race Report

Coming to you, well, not live!

The race results are in and things went about as I expected. I'm battling some disappointment with myself about the bike segment and a little about the run. But let's start at the top ...

My wife has been encouraging me to add some pictures to this blog... So we'll give it a try. However, I'm not sure I'm ready to post pictures of me after the event yet ... that's the subject of a different post on another day.

The way the RainMan triathlon works is that it's an indoor triathlon for two of the three legs. The swim is a 15 minute timed swim, followed by a 30 minute timed bike on a calibrated trainer, and then followed by an approximately three mile run. The calibrate the indoor trainer with you and your bikes weight such that everyone evens out on the resistance (it takes more watts to move my bison frame than a lightweight athlete). The distances covered for the swim and bike are then adjusted to what your sprint distance triathlon would be, and viola you have your finishing time.

I'll say this, it was a well run event. The volunteers were all friendly and they definitely were inclusive of all competitors (something I still admire about the sport of triathlon) regardless of the super-fit guys who I got dizzy watching their wheels spin on the bike, or people like me. They cheered me on when I was the last one on the run course coming in. I would recommend this event for anyone that wants to have fun or use it as a learning experience. I'm really glad my coach pointed this race out to me and got me to do it.

This event was held at the Sammamish Club in Issaquah, WA. I got there reasonably early to watch some of the competitors race and get my gear setup. The pool was on the first floor, you run through the locker room up stairs, and then you arrive and your bike, do T-1 and pedal like h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Afterwards, you finish the bike do T-2 and run downstairs and outside for the run.

Way better triathletes than I on the bike... :-) (I'll get there someday)


Here's my steed racked and ready to be put on the trainer (they move the bike to the trainer while you're on the swim). Sorry for the quality, it was a quick snap with the cell phone.


You can see my way over sized transition bag below the wheel. :)

No pictures from the swim with me in it ... I was busy racing.

The swim was pretty straight forward. I wanted to cover around 750 yards to 800 yards during the swim. I got 750 in. So I was on my target. I know I want to be faster in the future, but I'm ok with that result. My swim placing was T21/45. So that put me in the middle of the pack, not a bad place to be.

Unfortunately, it sort of all went downhill from there. My bike was pretty atrocious. I wanted to be up around 17 - 20 mph. I was averaging 13. My legs just were not cooperating. Although I had a really nice T-1 partly because I was prepped well for it and also, I went out and bought a pair of tri-bike shoes that allowed me to get in, no drying off, and just go go go.

Here's a picture from the event with me on the bike ... I'm holding back any comments about how I think I look. (I had a really hard time posting this picture, but as I said that's the subject for another day). To be fair I swiped this picture from the event's website of pictures they took (RainMan Issaquah TriFreaks Photos).


I like to think that look is determination ... you know, sort of like when the bison is about to trample the car on its way to the other side of the road. :)

The bike ended up being 40/45. Anyone else sense a trend?

T-2 and into the run was bad too. As soon as I tried to dismount from the bike, calf cramp! I suffered from cramps for most of the run.

Here's where the run course was, it was a 3 lap course near the club. My running time stank for a race.


The run ended up being, yep, dead last. 45/45.

My final position was 44/45, so I didn't finish dead last overall! We take the small victories where we can.

So in the spirit of intellectual honesty, what went wrong?

The number one problem was fueling. I had a whopping total food intake all day, before a race at 7:40pm, of yogurt and an orange. As well, I just need way more endurance on the bike. I think my run suffered primarily because of fueling, although the triathlon did live up to it's name and the weather poured buckets while I was on the run. Not an excuse, but it will impact time.

Now, I don't want you to walk away from this entry think that I've gone off the deep end and am thoroughly discouraged. I am not. There were many small victories in the race. First of all, I completed one. That's an accomplishment in and of itself. Second, my swim was right on where I thought I was and what I could do. That's good, it's also good that I was able to keep up with the middle of the pack. Third, I've come a long way. In July of last year, this was still a dream and hope. Now it's real. Now I know I can do a triathlon and while I'm targeting longer distances and more challenging events, I know I have the mental capability of doing this and pushing through disappointment. And last, I learned from this. I learned lessons that would have been crushing to learn in one of my "A" races.

Hey, and I'm starting my hardware collection ... Now I just need a spot to start hanging them on the wall in my office.


No comments:

Post a Comment